When you might be utilizing a sturdy password for each on-line account, you want a good Password Manager in an effort to get all of the passwords each time it is required. There are a lot of obtainable for Windows. However, immediately we are going to take a take a look at a free cross-platform and open supply password supervisor referred to as Buttercup. It is obtainable for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS in addition to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Let’s take a take a look at the options of this password supervisor.
Buttercup password supervisor
Buttercup has an superior consumer interface. You will discover a flat UI with minimalist functionalities in an effort to perceive all of the features and begin utilizing this instrument immediately.
Talking about obtainable options, they’re:
- Cross-platform password supervisor: You can set up this password supervisor on varied platforms. However, you can’t synchronize them throughout a number of platforms, which is a downside.
- Import from one other password supervisor: You can import password from different fashionable password managers reminiscent of 1Password, KeePass, and LastPass.
- Enter as many fields as you need: While coming into a password, you’ll be able to create as many fields as you need. Apart from coming into username, password, and web site URL, you’ll find an choice to enter different particulars as nicely.
- Separate archive file: If you need to handle totally different accounts individually, you’ll be able to create a separate archive. The smartest thing is totally different archives can have a totally different grasp password in an effort to encrypt them as a lot as potential.
- Use grasp password: You can add a grasp password, which is required whenever you open this password supervisor on any platform.
- Strong encryption: It comes with sturdy 256bit AES encrypted archives that meet immediately’s safety requirements.
How to make use of Buttercup on Windows
First, obtain and set up Buttercup password supervisor in your Windows laptop. After putting in, it is advisable create an archive file. For that, open Notepad, and save the clean textual content file with .bcup extension.
After creating that file, you’ll be able to open Buttercup in your laptop. You ought to discover a window like this-
Click the ADD ARCHIVE button and choose Open Archive File. Select the file that you simply created earlier.
After opening the archive file, it is advisable enter a grasp password. This is the password you want everytime you would attempt to open that archive or password contained in that archive.
After establishing the grasp password, you need to discover a window like this-
If you need to enter a password, you’ll be able to click on the ADD ENTRY button and enter all the small print like username, password, web site URL, and so on. By clicking the ADD NEW FIELD button, you’d have the ability to enter a new discipline or new data.
If you need to import password from some other password supervisor reminiscent of 1Password, KeePass or LastPass, right here is what it is advisable do. Before that, you need to have both .1pif or .kbdx or .csv file containing all of the passwords. You can discover such password file out of your present password supervisor software.
After getting that, go to File > Import > From [a password manager]. Then, it is advisable choose the file that you’ve exported out of your present password supervisor.
After importing, it ought to appear like this-
Drawbacks of Buttercup password supervisor
There are some drawbacks of Buttercup password supervisor for Windows, and a few of them are talked about below-
- No synchronization: You can not sync passwords throughout all of the units. Thus, it will be a time-consuming job for you to get all of the passwords on all of the units.
- No autofill: It doesn’t include autofill characteristic within the browser. You want to decide on the password from the listing when you’ve got put in the Buttercup browser extension.
You can obtain Buttercup from here.