I exploit Group Policy Editor to configure quite a lot of settings on Windows 10. Recently after I tried opening it from Run immediate or immediately via Control Panel, I obtained an error stating—Failed to open the Group Policy Object on this computer. You may not have the acceptable rights — unspecified error. If you get the identical error, then right here is how one can shortly repair the problem and achieve again entry to the Group Policy Editor.
Failed to open the Group Policy Object on this computer
The message was stunning as a result of I had not modified something that would have resulted in the error message. When I navigated to C:WindowsSystem32GroupPolicy, it had all the insurance policies intact, however the Group Policy Editor wasn’t working. So here’s what I did to resolve the problem. Make certain that your consumer account has Admin privileges.
- Set Windows to
- Navigate to the Group Policy folder
- Select Machine folder, and press F2 to rename it
- Rename Machine to Machine.outdated
- It will immediate for admin permission.
- Click on the Continue button.
- After the folder is renamed, by typing gpedit.msc in the Run immediate adopted by urgent the Enter key.
- Group Policy Editor will launch and not using a drawback.
- Go again to the C:WindowsSystem32GroupPolicy folder, and it’s best to see a brand new Machine folder.
- Now no matter adjustments you’ll make will likely be accessible in this folder.
There is yet another means to repair this.
You can select to delete all the information inside the Machine folder as an alternative of renaming it. Windows will routinely recreate the required information if you relaunch the coverage editor.
The motive behind Failed to Open Group Policy Object error
After going via Microsoft and Technet boards, I seen some customers reporting about the identical, and one in every of them shared about the corruption of Registry.pol with Event ID 1096. The file shops Registry-based coverage settings, which embrace Application Control Policies, , and extra. There was a log in the Event Viewer which pointed in direction of this corruption. The description said:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows couldn’t apply the registry-based coverage settings for the Group Policy object LocalGPO. Group Policy settings is not going to be resolved till this occasion is resolved. View the occasion particulars for extra info on the file title and path that prompted the failure.
It affirms the consumer’s report, and what you are able to do is delete the Registry.pol file accessible inside the Machine folder, and launch Group Policy once more.
I hope this helps you resolve the error.
Now learn: How to in Windows 10.