It’s all the time a good suggestion to set up Steam video games to a drive which has extra space than the default C drive – however for those who didn’t understand then, you higher do it now. C drive might be the least dependable place to have something that’s necessary.And furthermore, video games normally occupy a whole lot of house.
Move Steam Games to another Drive
Steam now permits you to move particular person video games to new library or drive, however if you’d like to move a number of video games from one place to another, you should utilize the SLM device or the inbuilt Backup/Restore operate. Let us see how to move Steam video games to another drive with out redownloading.
Move Steam Games utilizing inbuilt operate
Steam video games are saved underneath C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommon. Everything is saved in a single folder which makes issues little simpler. That mentioned, Steam Also permits you to have a number of obtain folders which implies you possibly can retailer the video games wherever you need.
- Open Steam, and go to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders and click on “Add Library Folder”.
- Navigate to a distinct drive, and create a brand new folder. Name it as SteamGames or no matter you are feeling like.
- Open your Games library, and proper click on on the sport you need to move, after which choose Properties.
- Switch to the Local Files Tab.
- Look for a button which says Move Install Folder.
Here you’ll get a transparent details about the present location of the folder, an choice to choose one of many new locations you had included within the 2nd step. Click on Move Folder, and it’ll provoke the method. Completion time will depend upon the scale of the sport.
Steam creates comparable folder construction i.e. Steamsteamappscommon within the new drive or in any folder you had set your vacation spot.
Use Steam Library Manager to Move Games in Batch
is a device created to assist you to with managing Steam libraries. SLM enables you to simply copy, move or backup your video games between Steam and SLM (backup) libraries. It gives a easy interface which lists down all of the Libraries in your PC, and video games obtainable in every of those libraries.
- You can drag and drop the video games from one library to another.
- Displays free cupboard space for every of the drive the place you’ve got created a Library.
- It can bulk move utilizing a Task Manager part.
- Real-time progress report on the motion.
- Integrates with Steam Menu like Game Hub.
- Launch Games in Steam from SLM.
As the video games are moved, you will note a log getting generated. This gives you a transparent understanding in case of an issue. After each move, it’s your decision to clear all of the logs, and accomplished duties. You may even have to restart your Steam App to replicate the adjustments.
The solely cause I had chosen this device is that it was up to date not too long ago. Most of the opposite instruments haven’t been up to date for nearly a 12 months or extra.
Use Backup/Restore to Batch Move Multiple Games to totally different drive or partitions
In case you do not need to use any third social gathering instruments, then observe this. If you’ve got tons of video games put in, and also you need to move all of them collectively, there is no such thing as a direct method in Steam. The solely choice I might consider is utilizing Backup & Restore operate. While it’s not very simple, that is one of the best shot.
- Figure out the place you need to move all of your video games. Make certain you’ve got sufficient house as a result of in case you are transferring tons of video games, you want to 100% certain you don’t run out of the method.
- Since we’ll first backup, after which restore, we’ll want equal house for backups as properly. So do the maths.
- Add that vacation spot as a further library by going to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders and click on “Add Library Folder”.
- Close Steam.
- The subsequent step is to move your total library by copying the ‘~/.steam/steam/steamapps/frequent‘ listing over to the Library Folder. The default place is ‘C:Program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommon‘.
- Open Steam, and Select the video games in your listing, and take away or uninstall it.
- Now if you set up video games once more, it is going to test in that new Library, and because the video games are there, it is not going to reinstall, however solely obtain mandatory information.
The complete course of takes a whole lot of time so you should have to be affected person sufficient, and relying on the pace of your laborious drive, RAM, and processor, it will likely be totally different for everyone. Hopefully in future steam will supply this as an inbuilt choice which might be a lot sooner evaluate to backup, and restore.
Steam has developed so much over years. I keep in mind that there wasn’t a method to move particular person video games generally again, however now it’s straightforward. Let us know your expertise.