Windows 10 1803 Update has its personal dangerous luck. It has triggered to a measure which we haven’t seen earlier than. One such difficulty is about keyboard format, a blank screen with simply Recycle Bin/Taskbar. It appears that the perpetrator Avast Antivirus and Microsoft has formally acknowledged it. In this submit, we’re suggestings an answer for this. Check out our information to fixing Windows 10 Update stuck at a blank screen with only Recycle Bin & Taskbar or Choose your keyboard format.
Windows 10 improve stuck at blank screen
Before we go forward to discover a answer, right here a quick description of the error. There are two of them.
- As quickly as you log in to your account, you’ll observe a blank screen with only a Recycle Bin and a taskbar. There shall be no begin screen, and even killing Windows Explorer with Task Manager won’t assist.
- During the improve, the OS will immediate you Choose your keyboard format and shall be stuck at that.
Microsoft factors the issue in direction of Avast Behavior Shield which is in battle with Windows 10 1803 Update. While Avast has launched an replace to repair this difficulty, you’ll have to restore your System to a degree from the place a repair could be carried out.
Users might also discover that their Update screen is stuck at the Choose your keyboard format screen,
It appears regardless that among the customers have tried performing a rollback, there’s some downside. So our first methodology is to restore the rollback, and in case you might be stuck at any level, swap to the second methodology.
1] Use Command Prompt to restore Windows Rollback
Here we’ll use command bcdedit. This command-line instrument is to handle (BCD). BCD information present a retailer that’s used to explain boot functions and boot utility settings. So if you end up the screen the place it will get stuck, comply with the steps beneath:
- Here choose US keyboard, after which at the “Choose an possibility screen”.
- The subsequent screen ought to have the highest left tile which reads “Continue – Exit and proceed to Windows Rollback”. (If you don’t see this, swap to the second methodology)
- Select Troubleshoot > Command Prompt. > kind bcdedit and press Enter.
- There must be four entries displayed.
- Ignore the primary entry, referred to as .
- The subsequent entries can have an attribute referred to as “machine” or “bootstatdevice”, which can have a price much like partition=E: (instance)
- In the command immediate, swap to the drive letter you famous within the earlier step. In this instance, you’ll kind E: and press Enter.
- Type the next command after which press enter:
- copy Windows.previousWindowsSystem32OOBESetupPlatformSetupPlatform.exe $WINDOWS.~BTSources
- When accomplished, it’s best to see the output, “1 file(s) copied”. If you see the rest, stop, and swap to subsequent methodology we’ve talked about.
- Now you want to exit the command immediate, and it’ll take you to the Choose an possibility screen.
- Select Continue – Exit and proceed to Windows Rollback.
This will provoke the Windows Rollback, and restore your system to the earlier model of Windows. Once it completes, it’s finest to not improve manually, and anticipate a notification from the Windows Update to inform you about an improve.
2] Perform an in-place improve
In this methodology, we’ll attempt to trick the set up course of as if there’s one other copy of Windows 10 Installed. We will rename the Windows.previous folder to guard your private information from being overwritten in sure eventualities.
To restore your system, you will have:
- A blank USB drive with at least eight GB of disk area
- Another working Windows PC that you need to use to create a bootable Windows 10 machine.
In case issues go south upgrading an in-place improve, the process of which has been proven on this submit on . Now let’s comply with the steps beneath:
- Download the . This offers you a bootable disk from the place you are able to do an set up.
- Boot from the USB machine you simply created by altering the settings in your BIOS.
- Since we try to recuperate the previous set up, we’ll cease the place the place it asks to decide on keyboard format. Here choose US keyboard, after which at the Choose an choices screen, choose Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
- In the cmd.exe window, kind C: and press Enter. Assuming C is the drive the place your Windows was put in.
- Type the next command Ren Windows.previous Windows.previous.bak, and press Enter.
- Exit the command immediate, and you may be again to Choose an possibility screen which we noticed earlier than.
- Select Use one other working system > Windows 10 on quantity X, the place “X” shall be a quantity.
- Give it a couple of minutes, and it’ll load the desktop.
Once that is full, we at the moment are again to our regular desktop screen, and from right here we are able to kick-start Window 10 set up manually. Since your entry shall be restricted if the precise desktop doesn’t get loaded, we’ll use Task Manager to launch the Windows 10 Setup.exe which is out there within the USB.
- Right-click any blank space on the taskbar, after which choose Task Manager > More particulars > Select File, then Run new activity.
- In the dialog field that seems, verify the field for Create this activity with administrator privileges.
- Select Browse, and choose the setup.exe file which is out there within the USB drive.
- This will kickstart the Windows 10 Upgraded. However, make sure that to uncheck the choice which tries to verify for brand new updates
Once the improve is full, you may recuperate all of your information from the Windows.previous.bak folder.
Hope this works for you!